Source: Joint IBM/SMR Report, 2010
This report describes that emerging methodology and its five critical recommendations.
- Focus on the biggest opportunities first. Attack one big important problem that can demonstrate value and catalyze the organization toward action.
- Start with questions, not data. Understand the problem — and the insights needed to solve it — before working on the data that will yield the insights.
- Embed insights to drive action. Ensure end-result impact by making information come to life, articulating use cases and expressing data-driven insights in ways that even nonexperts can understand and act upon.
- Keep existing capabilities while adding new ones. Even as centralized analytics oversight grows, keep distributed, localized capabilities in place.
- Build the analytics foundation according to an information agenda. Opportunistic application of analytics can create value fast, but it must bepart of an enterprise-wide information-and-analytics plan.