Source: HBR blog, May 2012
Bersofsky wants to give consumers a better way to decide what wine to buy — a recommendation engine that can match people’s various tastes to the myriad attributes of various wines. He’s envisioned that he could market such a personalized wine-recommendation engine to wine retailers, to be placed in a kiosk in a store or accessed from an iPad, a personal mobile device, or as a plug-in from the retailer’s Web site.
- The first challenge was to find talented people who know Big Data and analytics.
- The second challenge was to decide what tools to use.
- The third challenge was to decide what types of information matter.
- The fourth challenge was to remain open-minded.
- The fifth challenge was to spot the finish line.